Monday, January 5, 2009

The Long Road

Someone very close to me is going through something right now where they are essentially giving up on life. It has made me very sad and definitely put a damper on my holidays. She is someone I am close with, or at least I was, until she started her downward spiral sometime ago. She is very sick, physically and emotionally, but she doesn't have to be. I have tried to understand how she could let herself get to this point. But I can't.

Many years ago, I was told a phrase called "Pass It On". I was heavily involved with my church during my teenage years, and they had a program called Emmaus. Basically they would take 40 teenagers on a retreat that was filled with unconditional love. The people who worked the weekend were adults and other teens who had been on the weekend before. The basic message was to take God's love and pass it on. To say this weekend changed my life would be an understatement. While I haven't lived anywhere close to that ideal, I believe it prevented me from taking darker paths throughout my lifetime.

The woman I spoke of earlier has saved my own life on many occasions. I feel I owe her my feelings and my love, and for her to know from me that she has a fighting chance. I don't feel enough is being done by others in this regard. Someone needs to give her very tough love, and I feel that it must be me. I need to pass it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment