Sunday, January 11, 2009

Time

I have always been fascinated with the concept of time travel. I don't believe it will ever be more than the whims of science fiction writers, but just imagine the possibilities. You can really give yourself a headache if you think too much about it. For example, what happens if you go back in time and do something with your father and as a result you were never born. Then how could you go back in time to begin with if you don't exist? This is called a paradox. Some scientists think that a paradox cannot occur. What they believe happens is the birth of an alternate universe. One that exists parallel to ours.

Imagine this reality, if you will. Where anything can truly happen. Sworn enemies could be best friends. War torn countries could live in peace. You wind up in love with someone else. Where you were weak in one reality, you could be stronger in another.

Would God allow something like this to exist? I have no idea. I guess that's up to God. If he did, well he created it.

I have a paradox of my own. I wouldn't want to change anything in my life up to March 2004. Because that is when my son Jacob was born. Anything I changed could result in him not being here, and that would create a hole in my heart that could never be filled. Sure, I would love to change the time he bit me through the shower curtain on the lip. That hurt like a bitch! Or the time he hit me in the head with a handheld mirror. That didn't exactly tickle. But even those moments, they are a part of him and I would hate to steal anything from him. His smile is the light of my world, and nothing can ever change that.

No comments:

Post a Comment